The interests of clients involved in disputes often are not best served by traditional litigation. Expense, uncertainty of outcomes, personal or business relations among parties and other factors sometimes make alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods an attractive choice. Our attorneys are committed to exploring opportunities to resolve disputes other than through litigation, and we have the expertise and experience to assist clients in making smart choices and effective uses of the available alternatives, including arbitrations, mediations, settlement conferences and negotiations. We also have served in a variety of ADR capacities, including as arbitrators and mediators, as client representatives, and as key members of panels, committees and faculty involved with the advancement of ADR methods and skills.
In addition to assisting numerous clients in achieving confidential resolutions, typically, of a wide range of types of disputes (commercial, personal injury-based, and others) the lawyers in our ADR group have:
- Co-chaired the Uniform Law Committee that drafted the Uniform Mediation Act adopted or being adopted across the country.
- Taught courses in or lectured on dispute resolution techniques.
- Written articles on ADR techniques and ADR provisions of contracts.
- Served on the boards of the American Arbitration Association and international dispute resolution organizations.
- Attended seminars involving domestic and international ADR topics.
- Served as arbitrators and mediators, including on panels for the American Arbitration Association.
- Trained clients in dispute resolution techniques.
- Assisted by providing strategic planning advice, case evaluations, and other ADR-related representation.