Debora (Debbie) E. Ramirez advises clients in connection with general business matters, real estate transactions, renewable and traditional energy transactions, securities law issues and state and local tax matters. Her experience ranges from representing individuals in start-up ventures to representing multinational corporations in complex financing, real estate and other transactions. Her clients include real estate investors, traditional and renewable energy companies and banks and other financial institutions. She also advises nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations.
Prior to joining Modrall Sperling, Debbie practiced law for ten years in Texas and three years in New Mexico. While in Texas, she practiced with the law firm of Vinson & Elkins LLP in Houston and Austin and with the law firm of Graves, Dougherty, Hearon & Moody, P.C. in Austin. Before attending law school, Debbie worked for several years managing financial transactions for a global energy company in Houston, Texas, where she learned to appreciate the value of a responsive legal team.
Debbie received her law degree cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center. She received her Master's in Business Administration from the University of Houston and her undergraduate degree with honors in Accounting and Management Information Systems from The University of Texas at Austin.
Debbie is active in the Santa Fe and Albuquerque communities, serving on the Board of Directors of WESST (the place to start and grow your business), the Board of Directors of the Espanola Valley Humane Society and the Governing Council of The MASTERS Program (an early-college charter high school). In her spare time, Debbie enjoys hiking the mountains of New Mexico and backpacking in the backcountry of the western United States.
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1999, cum laude
- University of Houston, M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance, 1995
University of Texas, B.B.A. in Accounting and Management Information Systems, 1987, with honors
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
Real Estate, Financing and Other Transactions
- Represented a commercial bank in a $35 million loan for the acquisition and renovation of a world class hotel and spa in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The transaction included a loan participation and interest rate swap transaction.
- Represented a commercial bank in financing the construction of an affordable multifamily community in Gallup, New Mexico. The transaction included traditional construction financing, a USDA guarantee and funding from the Navajo Nation.
- Represent a natural resources developer in connection with capital raising transactions, including private placements of equity and debt financing.
- Represented a national property management company in the establishment of a condominium community involving a previously-abandoned mid-rise property in downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Represent a Texas-based real estate investment fund in the acquisition and sale of luxury residential properties in Santa Fe County, New Mexico.
- Regularly represent business owners in acquisition and sale transactions involving assets or stock or other equity interests.
- Advise renewable energy project developers in connection with New Mexico state tax matters, including available tax incentives.
- Advise renewable energy companies in connection with real estate matters, including navigating subdivision regulations and other local laws.
- Represented a solar energy company in negotiating a joint venture with a foreign company for the development of several large solar projects to be located in New Mexico.
State and Local Tax
- Advised a national utility services company in connection with New Mexico state and local tax statutes and regulations applicable to owning and operating electricity infrastructure located on federal land.
- Advised a national employee leasing company regarding New Mexico gross receipts taxes and applicable exemptions and deductions.