Emil Kiehne is an experienced appellate lawyer. He assists clients at all stages of the litigation process to maximize their chances for success on appeal. At the trial level, Emil drafts significant motions and jury instructions to preserve important issues, and in the appeals courts he prepares and executes the client’s appellate strategy. His appellate experience includes work in the areas of commercial litigation, torts, healthcare, constitutional law, administrative law, and employment.
Named a Tenth Circuit Litigation Star in Benchmark Appellate Litigation and a Future Star in New Mexico by Benchmark Litigation, Emil has also received recognition from Southwest Super Lawyers® based on a peer review.
A native of New Mexico, Emil received his undergraduate degree in History cum laude from Harvard University in 1995; he received his Master’s degree in Political Philosophy sobresaliente cum laude in 1997 from the Universidad de Navarra in Pamplona, Spain; and he received his law degree cum laude from Notre Dame Law School in 2000. After law school, he practiced in the Appeals Division of the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office for three years, and commercial litigation at a Philadelphia firm, Fox Rothschild, for one year.
Emil is Chair of the Appellate Committee and a member of Modrall Sperling’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group; he is a shareholder in the Albuquerque office.
Emil regularly covers developments in New Mexico’s appellate courts, and in the Tenth Circuit, at the New Mexico Appellate Law Blog.
Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2000, cum laude
Universidad de Navarrra, Pamplona, Spain, M.A. in Political Philosophy, 1997, sobresaliente cum laude
Harvard University, A.B. in History, 1995, cum laude
U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (inactive)
Emil has handled more than 100 appeals, including:
- Reversed $54 million nursing home wrongful death verdict against client, where trial court erroneously found that client operated the nursing home, Keith v. Manor Care, Inc., 147 N.M. 209, 218 P.3d 1257 (Ct. App. 2009).
- Obtained $40 million reduction of punitive damages award in personal injury case from a district court on post-judgment motions; case settled before appeal.
- Affirming summary judgment for school district in Americans with Disabilities Act case, J.V. v. Albuquerque Public Schools, __ F.3d __ (10th Cir. 2016).
- Reversed case-ending discovery sanctions against client, Couch v. Williams, 365 P.3d 45 (N.M. Ct. App. 2015).
- Affirmed groundwater quality regulations for New Mexico’s copper industry against challenge by environmental groups, Gila Resources Information Project v. N.M. Water Quality Control Commission, 355 P.3d 36 (N.M. Ct. App. 2015).
- Reversed administrative agency’s suspension of electric rates; appellate court held that agency violated client’s rights by acting without providing notice or a hearing, Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association v. N.M. Public Regulation Commission, 347 P.3d 274 (N.M. 2015).
- Reversed lower court decision, obtained ruling that client managed care organizations were not subject to statute mandating dispensing fee on pharmacy prescriptions, Starko, Inc. v. N.M. Human Services Department, 333 P.3d 947 (N.M. 2014).
- Represented Governor of New Mexico in extraordinary writ proceeding, New Energy Economy, Inc. v. Martinez, 247 P.3d 286 (N.M. 2011).
- Obtained reinstatement of $680,000 jury verdict in favor of client businessman, Sanders v. FedEx Ground Package System, Inc., 188 P.3d 1200 (N.M. 2008).
- Obtained reversal of improper change of venue, Cook v. Anding, 188 P.3d 1151 (N.M. 2008).
- Obtained reversal of false arrest verdict against client police officer, Kee v. Ahlm, 219 Fed. Appx. 727 (10th Cir. 2007).
- Emil regularly covers developments in New Mexico’s appellate courts, and in the Tenth Circuit, at the New Mexico Appellate Law Blog.
- Board Member, Appellate Practice Section, State Bar of New Mexico, 2016-present.
- Member, New Mexico Appellate Rules Committee, 2008-2013.
- Board Member, New Mexico Foundation for Open Government, 2015-present.
- Trustee, Catholic Foundation of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, 2012-present.
- H. Vearle Payne Inn of Court
- Leadership Albuquerque, 2010
- Knights of Columbus, Officer, 2008-2011
- San Clemente Parish Council, 2008-2011
- 40 Tips in 40 Minutes: Electronic Research Tools and Resources for the Appellate Lawyer, 25th New Mexico Appellate Practice Institute, September 2014
News & Articles
- A Guide to Blogs for the Appellate Lawyer, Appellate News: The Newsletter of the New Mexico Appellate Practice Section, Spring 2013