Spencer Edelman’s practice is focused in the areas of creditors’ rights and commercial litigation. In his creditors’ rights practice, Spencer assists banks and other creditors in foreclosures, collections actions, and bankruptcies. This spans a variety of industries including manufacturers, dairies, hotels, multi-family housing, and commercial real estate. In 2013-14 he served as a law clerk for United States Bankruptcy Judge David Thuma. Spencer has assisted large financial institutions, as well as private lenders, accountants, long-term care facilities, and other professionals in collecting debts secured by real property, vehicles, and equipment, as well as unsecured debts. Through this assistance he has developed substantial experience in real estate matters including disputes regarding title. In his commercial litigation practice, Spencer represents a broad spectrum of clients in product liability matters (including asbestos defense), contract disputes, landlord and tenant issues, real estate issues, and natural resources matters. Spencer has been recognized as a Southwest Rising Star by Southwest Super Lawyers®, and is listed in Best Lawyers in America® in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law. He is listed as a Future Star in Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys.
Spencer is involved in the State Bar of New Mexico, where he serves as chair of the Bankruptcy Law Section. He previously chaired the Young Lawyers’ Division. He participates regularly in the Wills for Heroes program which provides free wills to police officers, fire fighters, EMTs and other first responders. He also provides pro bono legal services through the Volunteer Attorney Project, Law La Palooza free legal fairs, the Veterans’ Civil Justice Initiative, and Ask-a-Lawyer call-in program on Law Day.
Spencer is a Shareholder and a member of the firm’s Litigation and Creditors’ Rights Practice Groups. He was a two-year captain of the Macalester College tennis team and continues to play tennis regularly.
University of Arizona, J.D., 2009
Macalester College, B.A. in History cum laude, 2006
New Mexico 2009
U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit 2011
Federal Court of Claims 2021
- Law Clerk for Honorable David T. Thuma, United States Bankruptcy Judge, 2013-14
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of New Mexico; Bankruptcy Law Section, Chair, 2021
- State Bar of New Mexico; Young Lawyers’ Division, Board of Directors, 2012-2016; Chair, 2016
- Law Access New Mexico, Board of Directors, 2012
- Pro bono legal service in the Volunteer Attorney Pool
- Drafting Descriptions and Agreements to Avoid Disputes, Litigating Disputes Over Easements and Restrictive Covenants, National Business Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, November 14, 2013, Spencer L. Edelman and Daniel M. Alsup
- “Deeds-in-Lieu of Foreclosure,” presentation at continuing legal education seminar, BOOT CAMP: Foreclosure and Loan Workout Procedures, sponsored by National Business Institute, Albuquerque, NM, October 8, 2012
- Leases and Bankruptcy, Landlord-Tenant Law: How to prosper in the New Market, Sterling Education Services, Albuquerque, NM, April 29, 2015
- Commercial Leases in Bankruptcy, Commercial Real Estate from A to Z, National Business Institute, Albuquerque, NM, May 6, 2015
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, selected as Southwest Rising Star, 2014-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020-present
- Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, recognized as Future Litigation Star, 2020-present