Megan Muirhead concentrates her practice on employment law, complex litigation and personal injury. She has extensive experience representing government and private entities in a variety of areas of employment law including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, breach of contract, sexual harassment, discrimination and wrongful termination. Megan also has assisted employers in a broad range of dealings with the EEOC involving responding to and resolving EEOC charges. She particularly enjoys providing guidance to employers aimed to reducing the risk of litigation such as specialized training sessions, creation of employment policies and review of employment handbooks. Megan is a former Co-Chair of Modrall Sperling’s Employment Group.
Megan has also defended corporate and individual clients in complex litigation matters including individual and class actions in the state and federal courts. She has also handled personal injury defense, professional liability litigation and product liability matters.
Megan has achieved an AV® peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible. She is recognized as a leading individual in New Mexico by Chambers USA, and as a Star by Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment. Megan is listed among those in Best Lawyers in America® in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action-Defendants and Southwest Super Lawyers®.
Megan is actively involved in the local community including her service as a member of the New Mexico State Personnel Board (appointed by Governor Martinez in 2014) and volunteer with Albuquerque Public Schools. She has served as a Constitution Day volunteer teaching fundamentals about the United States Constitution to 5th graders and is a former board member of the Susan G. Komen foundation raising money and awareness for breast cancer research.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1996
University of Michigan, B.A. in Political Science with highest distinction, 1993, Phi Beta Kappa
- New Mexico counsel for one of the Top 10 Fortune 500 Companies handling multiple litigation matters, including employment and personal injury matters
- Trial counsel for a large public entity in an employment matter that terminated with a July 14, 2015 summary judgment granted by United States District Court Judge Armijo on complex issues in a purported class action matter involving alleged ADA violations
- Trial counsel for a large public entity in matter that terminated with March 26, 2015 summary judgment granted by United States District Court Judge Vazquez which resulted in a dismissal with prejudice of a former employee’s claims of Title VII discrimination, retaliation, and hostile work environment discrimination
- Trial counsel in matters involving consumer protection and fraud claims and complex insurance coverage issues
- Assisted public and private entities in sensitive matters, conducting employment investigations and strategies for handling media inquiries
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of New Mexico Employment and Labor Law Section, Board of Directors, 2017-present; Chair-Elect, 2018; Chair, 2019
- New Mexico State Personnel Board, appointed by Governor Susana Martinez, 2014-present
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association (NMDLA)
- Defense Research Institute
- Albuquerque Public Schools, volunteer
- Susan G. Komen Board of Directors, served two terms
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Labor & Employment Litigators, 2018-present
- Best Lawyers in America® in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, 2016-present
- Chambers USA Directories of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Labor & Employment, 2019
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated, 2013-present; Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Southwest Super Lawyers® (derived from a lawyer survey) 2014-present