Modrall Sperling is seeking an EXPERIENCED LITIGATION PARALEGAL . Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be a dependable multi-tasker. We are looking for an organized self-starter, who is able to handle a busy workload in a team environment.
About Our Job
- Provides paraprofessional legal support services, including managing case documentation through the entire case.
- Collects, compiles, organizes and summarizes case discovery.
- Collects, compiles, organizes, and analyzes various data for use in reports and documentation using Bates-stamping, redaction, de-duplication and indexing.
- Calendars deadlines and checks legal citations by proofreading for substance and format including conformance with approved standards, and prepares witness and exhibit binders for depositions, hearings and trial.
- Provides support functions for document control, coordinating exhibits and witnesses during trials and hearings, and provides immediate research and documentation retrieval when called upon. Organizes and indexes case documentation.
- Assists in setting up case or transactional matter files and prepares requests and obtains necessary documentation.
- Prepares correspondence and legal documents requiring thorough knowledge of the Federal and New Mexico State Rules of Civil Procedure, Federal and New Mexico State Rules of Evidence, Federal and New Mexico State Rules of Appellant Procedure, legal format, terminology, and procedures.
- Responds to client inquiries and performs document management.
- Assist attorneys in research, drafting pleadings, disclosures, interrogatories, discovery requests and motions while under close supervision.
- Track all requests for documents and records, follow up on status of requests and verify receipt of documents and records.
- Assists with locating witnesses and issuing subpoenas and subpoena duces tecum for appearances at depositions and trials.
- Organizes and tracks case documentation and ensures it is available and easily accessible to attorneys. Files documents in the proper case management filing system and maintains internal databases.
- Conducts research and studies in order to summarize laws, court decisions, and other legal authorities for use in the preparation of cases, opinions, pleadings, briefs, and other documentation. Investigates the facts of cases and ensures that all relevant information is considered.
- Assists attorneys at depositions (when necessary) and trials in the preparation of motions, briefs, pleadings and exhibits. Provides immediate research and document retrieval when called upon during trial (using trial document management software) and post-trial proceedings.
- Performs lead work as necessary, assists with difficult or unusual assignments, resolves problems encountered during daily operations and determines appropriate solutions.
- Follow the ethical requirements as set forth by the New Mexico Rules of Professional Conduct.
Education Requirement: Possession of Paralegal Certification/Degree from an accredited institution is preferred.
Experience Requirement: At least five years of full-time paralegal experience in a public or private law office, not including internships.
Preferred Experience :
- At least five (5) years of experience with complex civil litigation in both state and federal court, including handling all aspects of a case through trial and on appeal.
- Significant trial preparation and trial experience in state and federal court
- Extensive experience with and demonstrated proficiency with the following:
- MS Word
- Office 2010
- MS Excel
- Adobe Pro
- Westlaw or LexisNexis
- TrialDirector or other trial management software
- Worldox or other document management software
- Aderant or other law firm time and billing software
- Proven expertise in cite-checking, legal research, writing and analysis skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients, attorneys and other staff members
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work well under pressure
- A self-starter and team player
We provide a competitive salary and benefits package including 401(k) and paid parking.
If you would like to be part of a fast-paced and supportive legal work environment, and have high expectations of yourself, you will enjoy this position.
Please submit your resume, a cover letter summarizing your experience, references and salary requirements to: Susan Harris, HR/Benefits Administrator. Incomplete responses will not be considered nor will applicants without paralegal experience.